Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Social Security Stipend and Adoptions Tax Refund

(One of our families shared this with me and I am sharing it with you.)

Hey Kevin,

Thought you might like to share this info with other adoptive families.

I found out that if you adopt a child who has been diagnosed with ADHD the child may be eligible for social security benefits in addition to the stipend from HKI. Those parents need to call Social Security and make an appointment to talk to them. They will tell you what you need to do and/or take with you to your app’t.

In addition, I found out that since I am over 65 and get social security, my son is able to get something called Aux Child Benefits, which in our case give him more money each month than SSD (or SSI??) would.

It’s worth checking into. Please pass this info on!!

Thanks for everything you’ve done to help us.

NMM

P.S.   Yes, you can get an adoption refund on income tax because of the change in the law this year. The first tax person I went to at an H & R Block near my house said I couldn’t because my son was not a special needs child. Thankfully a foster mom friend of mine, who has also adopted some of her children, directed me to her H & R Block tax person and sure enough in FL if a child is adopted from the foster system he/she is considered “Special Needs”.

(I know you had a speaker at Sylvia Thomas recently and I was not able to make that session but there may be other parents who have adopted and are still not aware of this law. If they don’t act soon they may miss this small window of opportunity!!)

HOPE THIS INFO HELPS SOMEONE!!


No comments:

Post a Comment